Guidance + Encouragement Sessions
There is a wellspring of
nourishment, inspiration, and resilience
available to all of us, at all times.
That’s my core belief…
and that’s what I help you to discover during a one-to-one “Guidance and Encouragement” (G+E) session.
How can a G + E coaching session help you?
“Guidance and Encouragement” sessions can support you to integrate mindfulness practices into your life and apply the insights from practice to your work, relationships, and other areas of your life.
G+E sessions are particularly helpful when you are in a transitional place in your life (shifting careers, changes in relationships, moving to a new area) and are seeking support to make these changes in the most beneficial way.
Here are some ways that a G+E session may help you:
- Identify a contemplative practice that works for you
- Apply the insights that are coming up in your practice to your career, relationships, creativity, finances, and more
- Get specific support in creating right livelihood, including pragmatic ideas on how to start or grow your business
How to Book Your Session
At this time I am not taking on new clients… I anticipate having coaching spots open up again in January 2018. If you’d like to be notified when that happens, please write me via the Contact Page and let me know of your interest. Thanks!
Fees and Terms
1 session (1 hour) = $145
3-session package = $360 (save $75!)
You’ll have the option to pay when you schedule. Payment is due prior to the session and is non-refundable. If you need to cancel or re-schedule, please give me at least 24 hours notice. If you cancel less than 24 hours prior to a scheduled session, you will be charged in full for that appointment.
You don’t need to schedule a session right away if you’re not feeling quite ready. You do have up to a whole year after purchase to book your session.
What is a G + E session?
A Guidance and Encouragement session is a unique blend of coaching, cheerleading, career planning, resource connections, discernment, spiritual guidance…it’s customized to whatever your needs are in a given moment.
I do G+E sessions by Skype or phone, so I can speak with you no matter where you live in the world. If you happen to live in Santa Fe or are visiting the area, I am very happy to meet with you in person.
Coaching philosophy and approach
Here’s the core of my coaching approach: we can access peace of mind and insights to help us live our lives with more freedom and kindness – no matter what our life circumstances. I believe this with all my heart because I have experienced it in my own life.
I love helping spiritually-oriented people figure out how to find freedom within the landscape of their life. I draw on my background as a counselor, meditator, chaplain, anthropologist, maven, and mensch — all in the service of helping you to find a deeper connection to your Core Intention and practical guidance in how to translate that into more possibilities for your life.
I have a down-to-earth way of helping you to access your own wisdom so that you can more effectively address questions and challenges in your life. I’m a great listener and am skilled at helping people cut through confusion to gain clarity on how to take next steps.
Training and Credentials:
I started out my career in human services with a bachelor’s degree in music therapy, followed by a decade of work in the mental health field as a counselor and music therapist. In 1993 I returned to graduate school to earn a master’s degree in cultural anthropology from the California Institute of Integral Studies. This was also when I started a meditation practice, which continues to this day. In 2012, I was ordained as a Buddhist chaplain by Roshi Joan Halifax after graduating from the two-year Buddhist Chaplaincy Training Program at Upaya Zen Center. Currently I am preparing to receive entrustment as a lay Zen Buddhist teacher from Shosan Victoria Austin of San Francisco Zen Center.
I’m the author of Work That Matters: Create a Livelihood that Reflects Your Core Intention (Parallax Press, 2017), and in addition to my own coaching/mentoring practice, I’ve served as an associate coach on Pamela Slim’s “Indispensable” program, based on her book Body of Work.
I love to work with people who:
- Understand the value of awareness practices (such as meditation) and are actively using these kinds of practices in their life – or aspire to do so.
- Want to explore how the insights that come up in these kinds of practices can be harvested and applied to daily life, in areas such as livelihood, creativity, and relationships.
- Are curious and open-minded.
- Have strong creative tendencies.
- Are community-oriented, have a desire to be engaged citizens, and long to contribute to the creation of a more just and peaceful world.
How The Process Works
Before the session:
- Once you sign up for a session, I’ll contact you and we’ll get it on our calendars. I’ll also send you a short questionnaire to help me understand more about what’s happening in your life now and what you’d like to get out of our session.
- Session fee is prepaid via PayPal and is non-refundable.
- If you want to see if it makes sense for you to have a G+E session, I welcome your email — just drop me a line at maia [at] maiaduerr [dot] com
The session itself:
- We spend an hour together via Skype (or phone if you’d prefer).
- At your request, I will make a recording of the session — you don’t have to take notes!
- Lucy the Wonder Dog may make a special appearance…
- I follow up with an emailed summary of the session and suggestions for action steps to help take you where you want to be.
What people say about working with Maia…
“Conversing with Maia over Skype added a significant element to my experience of the ‘Fall in Love with Your Work’ course. Maia’s just-right questions pulled out of me more than I knew was there. This conversation animated all the rest of my work–and stirred some new ideas as well. Maia’s approach has helped me to find an island in a sea of searching.”
~ Heather Cohen, counselor and teacher
“Thank you so much for being such a powerful yet humble Resource Maven. This all felt so wonderful and inspiring — in such a short time you helped me move from Vision to a plan of Action. Hallelujah!”
~ J.G. Agu, educator and musician
“Maia is a gentle, compassionate guide. She helped me focus and get a grip on what felt like wildly disparate things. Maia blends Eastern philosophy with down-to-earth, concrete action items, so there is a connection with a greater purpose. I was never left feeling like, ‘That was pleasant, but how do I put this into action?'”
~Jill Seidenstein, librarian
~Dr. Patty Lee, educator and writer
“Maia has been mentor, spiritual friend, chief encouragement officer and, most of all, a steady clear voice, grounding me when things are in turmoil. Her guidance is subtle and insights naturally emerge in our conversations. She is a blessing.”
~ Dr. Lynette Monteiro, psychologist and educator
“Maia listened with care and thoughtful attention as I explored my future. Her insights are clear, direct and doable…Thanks, Maia, for making sure I prioritized my ‘to do’ list and for filling me with new energy.”
~ Rose Gordon, spiritual care and restorative justice trainer